We have recently seen articles and statements by the UK Government, Brandon Lewis (Minister of Immigration) and Theresa May and we would like to clarify a few points and our position on the matter.

PT CONNECTIONS  Team’s understanding is:

EU nationals will be covered by two different things.

  1. The Withdrawal Agreement
  2. UK national immigration policy

The Withdrawal Agreement covers those who are effectively exercising treaty rights, national policy will need to cover those who have no economic footprint (those who have not exercised treaty rights).

To be able to have hard evidence of the statements of the PM and Brandon Lewis, we will have to wait and see what the primary legislation, secondary legislation, and policy will say about the evidence and the requirements.

Everyone, from the PM down to the civil servants responsible for implementation of the national policy, stated that new system will allow both groups (those exercising treaty rights and those who have not/are not) to apply for the new registration (less than 5 years) and the new status (5 years and above). It is expected that a new national immigration policy will be published in the New Year.

Please note that PT CONNECTIONS  will continue to lobby the UK Government to make sure that the reassurances given and the statements made by the UK government will be reflected in the national policy and that all the listed categories will be able to apply for Settled Status.

We encourage people in the following categories:

  • Carers, whose sole activity in the UK was and is caring for a family member and who are in receipt of ‘carer’s allowance and/or other public funds
  • People who exercised treaty rights for less than 5 years before retiring or becoming incapacitated
  • Single parents who have never been economically active or have been for less than 5 years and are in receipt of public funds
  • Spouses of British nationals who rely on public funds to support their families, whose EEA spouses would not fall under the self-sufficient category
  • Disabled people who were never able to work or be self-employed and are in receipt of public funds
  • Victims of domestic violence who are dependent on their spouse
  • People in shelters separated from their EU spouses
  • EU children in care
  • Non-EEA nationals whose residence rights derive from their EEA spouses and subsequently divorce

and also other individuals, to write to relevant departments (listed below), explaining their circumstances and asking for clarification about their ability to apply for Settled Status.

Share this Post